Saturday, July 02, 2005

The Blessedness of Possessing Nothing

This is the title of the 2nd chapter in Tozer's "The Pursuit of God". What struck me most in this chapter was simply this statement:

"We are often hindered from giving up our treasures to the Lord out of fear for their safety. This is especially true when those treasures are loved relatives and friends"

This sentence hit me like a bullet right between the eyes...because there was so much truth in it. I can't say I'm really driven by materialism (well sometimes I do wish I had more $$ but I am usually just happy being able to get by day to day) but one thing I did realise after reading this chapter was this: I do value my friends and treat them like treasure....(although my dead-pan face normally doesn't express much of it). If i get very close to someone I have a very bad habit of becoming possessive. If i had my way I would box them up and keep them with me for the rest of my life. But of course, life's not like that and it would be a very selfish thing for me to do.

Tozer describes this selfishness in man as below:

"There is within the human heart a tough, fibrous root of fallen life whose nature is to possess, always to possess. It covets things with a deep and fierce passion"

So true it is, that as humans we always want, want, want. We treat everything as though it belongs to us and have forgotten that we are but stewards of everything that has been given to us. Even as we think of our friends, we need to remember that we do not possess them, and they ultimately belong to God.

Tozer ended the chapter with this prayer:

"Father, I want to know Thee, but my cowardly heart fears to give up its toys. I cannot part with them without inward bleeding, and I do not try to hide from Thee the terror of the parting. I come trembling, but I do come. Please root from my heart all those things which i have cherished so long and which have become a part of my living self, so that Thou mayest enter and dwell there without a rival. Then shalt Thou make the place of Thy feet glorious. Then shall my heart have no need of the sun to shine in it, for Thou wilt be the light of it, and there shall be no night there. In Jesus'name, Amen"

I truly want to pray this prayer with all my heart, and trust that He will change me in His perfect time.

No comments: