Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Interval training

I had a fantastic workout at the gym this morning. Did an interval and circuit training, something which I have not done in a long time. I was first introduced to circuit training when I was in university. Wow, to think of it I have been actively exercising for the last 14 years!

Started my workout with a slow run for about 10 minutes, then proceeded with Fartlek training for 20 minutes where I interspersed a slow run and a high intensity run for 2 minutes each. This is a great way to increase speed, and I haven't done this in 1 year I think? Right after that I went on with circuit training where I would do 2 weight training exercises for 40 seconds each and then do cardio activity for 40 seconds, all consecutively. I really blasted my muscles and because i haven't done this in a long time my muscles fatigued pretty fast! Soon my shoulders were shaking.

I have to shape up because I have a wedding to attend in June. Cheh! As though it is my wedding, hahah!Well I just realised that my definition has faded and my body looks somewhat like a sausage, so I need to tone up. I also am on a mission to help 2 friends lose weight! Hmm now the difficult task is to go through Chinese New Year without gaining weight...

Circuit training (40 secs per exercise):
Round 1
Squats
Alternate lunges
Running on spot (cardio)
Push ups
Bent over flyes
Flick kicks (cardio)
shoulder presses
tricep dip
Side flicks (cardio)

Round 2 (on machines)
Machine row
Lat pull down
Chest press
Shoulder presses

Such a short workout but my muscles were so tired! Have to start building up again.

No comments: