Thursday, January 05, 2006

Celebrity Day

Went to redeem my free 30 day pass at Celebrity Fitness today. Very marketing oriented. They put me through a series of questions and forms to fill. By the time I had finished the questions and had a tour round the gym, 50 minutes was over already. Shucks! I casually mentioned to the consultant that I used to teach group exercise classes before and he tried to be funny and asked me "Are you FISAF certified?" To which of course I proudly answered "yes"...

Bumped into Ammetta...she was just finishing an RPM class. Her husband still does orthotics, which is really great because I need my second pair. I can't imagine life without my orthotics!! I have flat feet and used to get a great deal of injuries..until I got my orthotics about 2 years ago and that helped tremendously to complete a marathon. The average lifespan of an orthotic is about 6 years, but half if you do some serious pounding. Looks like mine are nearly koyak...

Anyway..by the time I started my exercise, I only had 40 minutes left. I started off with the elliptical machine for about 20 minutes, and had wanted to proceed to do some fitball exercises. Just as I was going to sit on the ball, I bumped into Ellen and WWW. I sat and chatted with them for a bit and whaddya know, times up - I had to go shower and get ready for work.

Ladies' changing room was quite nice. One thing strange I noticed though - there weren't any hooks in the shower rooms to hang your towel. I am a bit puzzled - am I supposed to shower in my towel or am i supposed to walk around the changing room naked?

Overall the equipment and facilities look pretty complete. I haven't had the chance to try the weight machines yet but they are using Life Fitness machines mostly and Precor elliptical machines. I still personally prefer Technogym (I seem to have an affinity for most Italian things...) But I'll be back to try out some of the group exercise classes.

2 comments:

Chipmunkrock said...

this one doesnt even have any bars outside! and they use shower curtains, not glass doors. badly designed, i'd say...

jesscet said...

speaking of shower cubicles.. none can `beat' california fitness (groan) It is so tiny and cramp, yes, use curtains and you can hang your tower on the hooks next to the curtain OUTSIDE! What HL describes sounds similar to what the old Sweat Club has - a no-lock door with horizontal bar affixed outside. Still MUCH better than the current ones...it has hardly enough hot water!