Tuesday, January 10, 2006

20km

The alarm went off at 4.30am this morning. My hands were too heavy to even shut it off. I can't belive I agreed to run with Jenny this morning! Finally , dragged myself out of bed and stuffed my face with an expired Power Bar. My gym buddies went for a leisurely stroll in Kiara Park today. But I ran with Jenny and Uncle Hooi today.... since I will be joining veteran category next year, I might as well start running with veterans...after all they are a lot more disciplined than the youth. Uncle Hooi is twice my age, but he's incredibly fit and has been running for 22 years. We decided to do the unthinkable today......20km..yep, that's nearly half a marathon. We met at Lake Gardens at an unearthly hour of 5.15am. By the time we started our run, it was about 5.30am. We ran on Jln Duta and cut in at the back of Bank Negara and ran around the Bukit Tunku area. Thank goodness the streets were well lit. We came out to the other side of Jln Duta, near the tennis stadium, crossed the road and hit Sri Hartamas. We ran pass the government offices, Plaza Damas right up to the Petronas station before we hit back. That's half the jounrney only..another 10km more.

The first 10km was very very slow, as both Jenny and I have not clocked in long distances in a while. More so for me, as the last half marathon I ran was in KL International Marathon last February. So it's been a year.... The second half I began to pick up speed, thanks to the Power bar I had ample energy. After we hit Bukit Tunku, Jenny asked Uncle Hooi if he had wanted to extend his distance to 30km by hitting the "Double Hill" route. His reply was, "it's ok..it' my rest day today"..Hmmmm...His rest day is 20km and 20km is like my big day!!

In the last 200m, Uncle Hooi started spirinting and I couldnt keep up! So embarrassing! I can't keep up with a man who's twice my age! It was indeed a very good run today...paced myself well. And most of all, I can't believe it, I completed 20km today!

Bumped into Tony at the carpark, he gave me several tips for my KK trip in March. I'm getting excited! I'll have to start training for it soon..

1 comment:

jesscet said...

Goodness!! :0 You woke up at the time when I just went to bed! (read my blog..)