Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Win Sum, Lose Sum

My Ah Sum status has been confirmed. Today I managed to slag off a supplier (in Cantonese) for being rude on the phone. Those who know me would be aware that I can't speak Cantonese for peanuts. Or the little that I speak sounds totally strange..like those gwai lohs you see in Hong Kong Cantonese series.

What happened was that I asked her if her company could deliver the goods within a certain time. She then replied (in Cantonese of course but this is the English translation ) :"If you want to be petty and discuss time then you can come and collect it yourself" . Imagine that sentence translated into Cantonese - how rude it would sound, as Cantonese can sound pretty coarse. Anyway I told her (in Cantonese) that that was not the way to answer a customer, and if she had explained it nicely I would have understood. But instead it made me very angry. It would make ANY customer angry. The only thing I was pleased at was that I managed to tell her off in Cantonese! I sms'ed my little triumph to HL (fellow non Canto talker) and she very cleverly replied:

"the ah sum emerging even more strongly!"

No comments: