Tuesday, November 29, 2005

A Friendship Poem

I unearthed a letter which a very dear friend of mine sent 23 years ago. What a delight it was to send letters and cards to each other back then. These days, it's so impersonal with emails and ecards. And what's most frustrating is receiving one-liners in reply to your long emails. Of course, with technology we receive our replies faster but it takes away the excitement of waiting for your mail. In addition to that, it is precisely because of receiving emails faster that we tend to get impersonal in our mails. We always think,"I've no time to reply now, I'll reply later when I have the time". The truth is, we NEVER find that time to write the mail. As for snail mails, we know that it would take forever to reach the recipient, hence we always maximise our contents..also to make our stamp's worth.

Anyway, in the letter which I unearthed, there was a poem on the stationery which she used. Here is what it said:

Down friendship's trail I wander very frequently
And somehow you are always there walking close to me
How comforting it is to know the friend whom I so treasure
Is walking hand in hand with me and bringing endless pleasure
And though we do not say a word we're happy folks we two
How wonderful it is to walk down friendship's trail with you.

I know the poem sounds really archaic. Read in today's context it means something else. Just like how words such as "gay" and "queer" have a totally different meaning now. But this letter was written in the 80s...therefore the meaning behind it is preserved and extremely beautiful, what more coming from this dear old friend of mine.

No comments: