Sunday, March 05, 2006

KLIM 2006

Woke up at 4.30am to have a Power bar (Cookies and Cream - delicious!). I suppose most full marathoners would have been at Dataran Merdeka by this time already. Half marathon flag off was only at 6.30pm, so I could afford to wake up later. We car pooled, the 5 of us - Jin, Hsiung, Ragu, Harlina and myself.

It seemed to be a very quiet event this year, as there was not much publicity and there were fewer participants compared to last year. I was told that there were more half than full marathoners this year. Well, the organisers should learn a thing or two from the Singapore Marathon organisers - they are so much more professional and well organised. This is my 3rd time joining the KLIM - the first was in 2004 which I did 10km only, the second was last year which I did a half marathon. So this is my second KLIM half marathon.

Gun went off at 6.30am. By the time I reached the starting line where my chip was recorded, it was at least 1.5 mins already. At the start I didn't feel too good already, as I felt quite tired and was not sure if I was able to sustain the entire race, considering that I was down with a runny nose and sore throat just last Sunday. In addition, I haven't hit 10km since the Great Eastern run in mid January.Nevertheless I was determined to complete the run no matter what. The first 5km was quite alright. I bumped in to an ex colleague and we ran together for a short while before we parted after the first water station. Somewhere at the 7th km, this old uncle started making conversation with me and wanted to keep pace with me. I guess it helped me to push myself. I reached the 10km mark in about 1:04 and can you believe it, there was no water left....Talk about BAD organising. They should also learn from the Pacesetters, who organise runs really well. Anyway, this uncle ran with me from about 7th-13th km before I left him behind.

The other thing the organisers should learn is when to serve water and when to serve isotonic drinks. They served water most of the time, and isotonic drinks were not served until the 15th km. (Well at least I didn't see any until then) Aiyo by that time we would have been stripped of all our minerals and it would have been too late. The body would have lost efficiency of performance already. They had another isotonic drink stall, towards the end of the run, like probably in the 20.5 km. I think between the 20th and 21st km, there were 2 water stations. What on earth for???????? They should have spread out the water stations and provided more during half mark instead of saving all to the end. I know they seem to have catered more for the full marathoners, but it doesn't matter whether it's full, half, or just 10km - the point is, they should organise it properly.

I completed the race in 2:24 (net time) - 1 minute slower from last year. Not too bad considering I was ill just last week. I had a full day ahead of me, and I am surprised I lasted the whole day without feeling tired..infact still perky now. Must be the adrenaline.

No comments: