Sunday, August 17, 2008

Motivated or Discouraged?


There. I've finished watching the women's marathon. I am not so sure if I feel motivated or discouraged now!! I am just so amazed how Tomescu Dita maintained her lead for half the race without looking too tired! She was in top form, didn't show any signs of major fatigue while the runners in the chase group were already looking so tired. Initially they focused so much on Tosa (Japan) and I could feel her pain. I probably look like that at 5km mark!

I think the marathon seems more daunting now than when I first did it. Maybe it's fears of not being able to beat my previous time. Rightfully runners should run each race as its own and not compare with other races, as weather conditions and other factors could be different (eg form may not be the same etc)I seriously doubt if i can run any faster than my previous....what more I haven't been training.

ALso, I've noticed that the best runners are in their mid 30s! oh woe, what is happening to me? ONly seem to be going downhill!

Tomescu Dita finished in 2:26:44, which is like my half marathon time! But I am really glad that Ndereba came in 2nd at 2:27:06 and very very happy that China's Zhu came in 3rd although I would have liked her to be in second place. Paula Radcliffe struggled in the last few kms with some cramps, but I am glad that she finished her race regardless, unlike the last Olympics.

My friend reminded me though, that I should look at Paula's feat for inspiration, that she completed the race although in a poor position - and that is what marks a true competitor, not just a runner.

I need more inspiration!

No comments: