Saturday, August 23, 2008

Let the Run Begin!

Where Olympics end, I begin. Embarked on my first long distance run today...I completed 20km! Hurrah! After an absence from long distance training it wasn't too bad.WOke up at about 6.10am..decided I didnt want to run too early since it was another lone ranger run and i didn't want to run in the dark.By the time I packed the water bottles for my running belt, get the power gel and prepare the change of clothes, it was about 6.30am already.

Went to Bukit Aman...was relieved to see other runners, and slow ones too! Started my run at about 6.45am, after warm up. Managed to overtake some runners, there was a girl whose running belt kept coming off. I'm so glad my running belt stayed on for the whole run and didnt come off like it did for the Great Eastern run. My belt looks like it's deteriorating..first of all it's loose (always has been) and I have to fold fold the belt before i stick on the velcro. Secondly, I think all the sweat got into the zipper and it got rusted.Cant zip it!But I really do like this one..it's an Adidas one and the bottles are quite slim and there's 4 of them so the weight is evenly distributed around the waist compared the the Nike one which has 3 chunky bottles.

By the time I hit about 4km, it rained on my parade!! I thought oh no, it's gonna pour and it will be hard for me to see as I was wearing my glasses (with Transitions lenses) and not contact lenses.BUt good thing it jsut rained lightly for a while, and then it subsided. BY the time I hit about 8km My legs were beginning to fatigue, and i thought, i;m not even halfway through the run. But thanks to some inspiring music I managed to push on. I don't normally use an MP3 player when I'm running, because you dont get bored when you're with friends, but when you're on your own it gets a bit boring. Fueled myself with 100 plus and Power gel (i love the raspberry one!) at 10km I felt so refreshed.Continued my run, but alas, the MP3 battery died at 11th km. Good thing I am quite used to running without music so it was allright.

At 18th km, as I was struggling uphill, I saw some cyclists going downhill. I had to of course,maintain good posture and make myself look like it was just a breeze! But honestly, although my legs felt like jello at the end, it wasn't that bad.

And now, after the run I am craving for prawn mee!!!

No comments: