Sunday, January 20, 2008

Good Start to the Year


I can't believe it, I did it! I actually ran the 20km race, finished it..of course in timing worse that usual but considering that the maximum I've run since Singapore Marathon 2006 is 8km, I guess it's acceptable to me! This is my comeback run. Right now my body is still burning..and I hope it's melting all that fat away!

When the alarm rang this morning I thought to myself "Do I really want to do this?" I was still groggy and a bit light headed even though I had enough hours of sleep. But the thought that I hadn't raced at all last year, kind of pushed me to run.We were flagged off at 6:30am. I started really slow as I wasn't sure how I would sustain throughout the entire race. Plus I didnt want to get cramps in the 1st 2 km which I sometimes get when I run too fast without being really warmed up. My body was actually still asleep in the 1st 5km..i don't think I could run a straight line as I was still groggy, and the streets being dimly lit didnt help either!

BY the time I completed 10km, I still felt fine. I'd decided not to take the Power Gel as i didn't think it would make much of a difference. By 15km, I felt a sudden surge in energy and could run with a little more strength but alas, at the 16th km, I felt quite tired already. As we reached Jalan Duta, I felt it was the longest stretch ever!

Finally, just before the finish line, my Adidas running belt became loose! My power gel dropped, but I left it on the road as I had wanted to sprint to the finish line. (It was also expired!:P) Alas, my plan was still thwarted, as my water bottle dropped out!! I had to run back to retrieve it as it was the Adidas bottle and it's quite hard to find a replacement. Finally when i reached the finish line, the photographer told me that he hadn't snapped my picture, so i had to reverse and have my picture taken!! So the picture of me will be one of walking and not running..aiya. THought I could have some glamour shot.

I completed in 2:32 which is longer than usual. But I'm glad I did it.

No comments: