Thursday, October 06, 2005

Achtung!!

Brought Caramel to the vet for his second shot today. Got some advice from the vet on training the pup..you see Caramel is pretty feisty and not really scared. Because he's teething, he constantly loves to bite...and he doesn't like to bite his toys..he likes to bite me instead. Although I know he's being playful, I still have to discipline him.I've been reading on puppy training and most articles would tell you to be gentle with the puppy. I've tried talking to Caramel gently, but it doesn't make any difference. I've tried raising my voice, it only gets him more excitable and want to bite me more.

I told the vet about my predicament and he said there are generally 2 ways of training the dog:
1. English way (softer approach)
2. German way (harsher approach)

He took a look at Caramel's face and said that this pup is one tough nut, has very strong character and knows no fear. I guess this is because he's a stray and has strong survival instincts. Doc also said that with these type of pups you have to use a harsher approach to show your authority, or they will never be scared of you. So German method it is. I would much rather the English method, but it doesn't work on Caramel. When we came home, he tried to get playful and bite me again. I took out a rolled newspaper and smacked his nose. Finally he cowered. This pup is pretty smart, so I hope he learns fast because I hate smacking dogs. But he also learnt to stay and not follow me today. I have hope!

2 comments:

jesscet said...

Hehe, welcome to the full-time job of puppy training again!! ;) But yeah, think u r on the right track. Who is your vet? (hmm..my vet could hardly give me advice on dog trainig..)

Chipmunkrock said...

My vet's Dr Dhillon, which is a stone's throw away from church..