Thursday, October 30, 2008

Geriartric Darth Vader

The weather has been very harsh lately. I've developed some phlegm in my throat, which was further aggravated by Diwali goodies and curry. It also doesn't help that my colleagues are coughing away at work, and in an enclosed workspace, I'm, exposed to all the germs.

Decided to nip it in the bud, and went to see the doctor yesterday. I usually avoid seeing the doctor unless it's really bad but I can't afford to let it prolong..if I start taking medication too late it will take me even longer to heal.I'm now on anti-biotics (which I usually avoid taking).

I find that anti biotics slows down the body a lot. I still went out to do my usual 8km run today..although the body felt a bit drained of energy, again the mind took over. Good thing the weather was a little kinder today - although the sun was up early, there was some slight breeze, which was absent last week.

If you had wanted to know what Darth Vader was like in old age,I was a good example this morning. With all that phlegm stuck in my throat, I sounded like Darth Vader with all that heavy breathing. Not only that, I was trying hard to cough out all the phlegm, and it's kind of hard to do it while running. I practically sounded like a geriartric on her deathbed!At one point I had to stop and cough out all the phlegm.

People always ask me what I do or think of when i run. Here's what I usually do:

1. Pray or talk to God. Funnily even as I am panting, I find my solitude in the Lord while running! Especially so when it's long distance and I am by myself.SOmetimes I think of bible verses.

2. Sing or hum a tune in my mind

3. Think of conversations I've had with friends

4. Observe smells - I like the smell of fresh laundered clothes, toast and trees. I hate the smell of squashed fig....plus dead creatures.

5. Listen to my mp3

6. Enjoy the scenery

7. Thinking how hard I am struggling during the run!

8. Work. This is very rare as I mostly have operational stress..I tend to think of work if I have to design something and have a tight deadline to complete it.

9. Observe people's dogs. Some are really cute!And it's interesting to see how the owners talk to the dogs.

10. Think of whether I have anything interesting to blog about1

11. Pretend I am a world class runner and completing a race

Well, gotta keep the mind busy to distract myself from the run right?

No comments: