Saturday, October 25, 2008

A Taste of the Real Thing

I’ve just completed 30km this morning and I am not sure how I feel now. I don’t feel too tired – but I think it’s the endorphins which are sustaining me. It was INCREDIBLY AWFULLY HOT this morning, I think I could have had heatstroke.

Started the run at 6am as usual. Was tempted to start earlier so it would not be so hot by the time I finish…But I decided that I need to adapt to the heat as well..since Singapore is usually hot. And I got a taste of the same kind of heat! This morning my muscles didn’t feel overworked or fatigued as it did the last two weeks, but somehow after 5km my legs felt very tired. I only began to feel better after the water stop at Petronas, when I had a 100 Plus and a Double latte power gel. I think the double dose of caffeine in the power gel really helps a lot – between 10-20km I was “cruising”. However, I think the heat got to me because by the time I had completed 20km, my body was very very tired. Probably dehydrated but I didn’t know it nor felt it. The last 10km was the worst, by that time it was very very sunny and the air was still.

All in all I bought 2 bottles of 100 Plus and a bottle of water (500ml), plus my own water bottles (probably 300ml). I’ve never had to buy so much water in my life – infact after 20km I finished 1 whole bottle of 100 Plus without having that heavy “splashy” feeling in the stomach – so you can already tell how devoid of water my body was. That alone was not enough, I actually backtracked to Petronas station again to buy the bottle of water.

After drinking some water I felt a lot, lot better. I think I had too much isotonic drinks but not enough water. It is always better to drink more water in the beginning of the run and increase intake of isotonic later, but because I don’t have enough water stops, I have to instead drink more water (which I self carry) at the end, and more isotonic in the middle (where I can buy the water)

I slowed down trememdously today because of the heat, and also coz I made more stops at the station. I didn’t care about timing as it was more important to be well hydrated. I find I have less injuries when I am properly hydrated.


If I am dying in the heat at 30th km, how do I go on with another 12?

I’m looking forward to going home and putting my feet up.

4 comments:

winnieywp@yahoo.com said...

Hi! Have been reading your blog recently ... very inspiring! Not that I could do 30km ... puh-leeze, even 10 also can die. But it's something to aim for, isn't it ... in my next lifetime! :-)

Chipmunkrock said...

thks for dropping by Winnie! I can see that you really love hiking! I am glad you can be inspired by my blog - I am no super athlete, so hopefully it encourages those who have been afraid to challenge their body to further limits!

winnieywp@yahoo.com said...

I think you said in one of your posts that you're a wannabe runner or something along those lines... trust me, if anyone's a wannabe, it's me!! But wannabe better than not wanting to be lor. Haha... but do keep writing. I need a little motivation every now and then. :-)

Chipmunkrock said...

hey Winnie, are you on MOTH on facebook, and do you join their activities?