Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I'll Keep my Big A**, Thank You

This morning my running buddies and I ran about 6km. Felt great and strong, after a whole week of rest, and I still felt strong running uphill. Except that my glutes and hamstrings were quite sore from yesterday's workout!

Anyway the topic of our conversation over breakfast this morning was on fad diets.We've some friends who've been on Nutrilite or Herbalife diets, and they've lost a tremendous amount of weight, compared to me, who's been running and running and running and yet still have big hips and a**. It's amazing how much of weight one can lose going on these diets, especially on the hip area, where stubborn fats easily accumulate.

As much as I suffer from body dysmorphic disorder , I would still rather lose weight through exercise instead of consuming anything unnatural to lose weight. Many of these diet and weight loss products claim to have natural substances, but my question is, how long can you continue to consume that product, and are you sure there are no side effects from consuming it in the long term?

Also, we have to be aware that a number of these weight loss products (eg. Xenical)were designed for obese people, who truly need to lose weight for health reasons, and for not the average person. So is it healthy for a normal person to consume these products?

Some of the potential dangers of consuming weight loss products are:
1. potential for dependence
2. disrupts your metabolism
3. depression
4. raised blood pressure
5. heart damage
6. liver damage
7. malnutrition due to deprivation of certain food groups
8. Fatigue
9. Irritabtility
10. Subsequent AND quicker weight gain

Although I do complain about being fat etc etc (that's the paranoid side of me), nevertheless I am glad I am not as obsessed as some people who are already like stick insects AND still think they are fat and want to lose 10-20kg etc etc. I do admit that I'm still not entirely happy about my body shape, but it's learning to accept who are you, which I am slowly learning over time. Also you'll find that you can't really fight age, eventually your body breaks down and your metabolism slows down anyway.

So, instead of spending money on weight loss programs,I'd rather be the fit marathoner that I am, and despite I am a bit chunky, I'd rather keep my big a** and keep running, thank you.

No comments: