Thursday, June 29, 2006

Footie Fever

Been staying at my parents' most of this week as I wanted to watch World Cup on Astro (yea no Astro at my new place yet..). Since I'm here I thought I might as well get online and blog, which I rarely get to do so lately.

The Wedding of the Year was last Saturday. Prior to the wedding, I had to keep those eyebags and dark rings at bay, hence I watched the matches selectively. Since the wedding, I've allowed myself to stay up a bit to watch the earlier matches...but at my age I can't wake up in the middle of the night to watch and then live life as normal the next day. I guess I will have to make an exception for the finals. Boy, I remember back in those days it was no problem at all. Infact, I remember having this 11 or 12" black and white TV in my room when I was in secondary school. I'd get up in the middle of the night, strain my eyes to watch the tiny screen in the dark with the volume down. My mom suspected I was up anyway, when she woke up in the middle of the night once to answer nature's call and saw a faint light from under the door..

Anyway, I started developing an interest in football since Mexico '86. I think it all started because Mien used to tell me how her sister was interested in the diabetic Gary Mabbutt, then in Tottenham Hotspurs. She used to show me pictures of him in Shoot! magazine, and then suddenly I discovered there were many good looking guys in football! Hence the beginning of the interest...ah well you know, at puberty..

So since there was the influence of the English League ( back then it wasn't called EPL), naturally when World Cup came, I supported England. And I've not liked Argentina since the Hand of God incident! Anyway, since I'm footy nostalgic now, I unearthed some old autographs from some footballers. I used to write to many clubs, but my favourite was Everton (because of Kevin Radcliffe and Gary Lineker). I used to fancy Lineker so much that I used to call myself Lynneker.. Anyway here's what I have:





Nigel Clough
Nottingham Forest


















Keith Houchen
Coventry City


















Bryan Robson
Manchester United














Paul Power
Everton














Gary Lineker
Barcelona














Neil Webb
Nottingham Forest


















Bobby Mimms
Everton

Peter Reid
Everton

5 comments:

Collin said...

waaaaaa...

WeeFishy said...

I did not realise that you have so many autographs from footballers! Great that you have one from Lineker. He's a lovely bloke. He's called Mr. Nice Guy here, because he is!!!

Chipmunkrock said...

haha i remember you could not understand why i liked Mr Nice Guy so much back then!And footie was such a boring game to you then!

jesscet said...

Wah, i am jealous! Don't have any of football stars autograph though a few of HK singers :p

My favourite all-time England player was Gary Liniker and you have his autograph too to `kheng' such a term of endearment eh?

So Argies are out :( I prob support England but doubt that they can beat Brazil to march on to the Final!

Chipmunkrock said...

oh got personal message from Lineker behind the card too;) i only have his autograph but SOMEBODY has his picture taken WITH him...