Monday, January 05, 2009

Injured Lame Duck



Yup, I'm injured. And injured from that pleasant 20km run which i did 2 Saturdays ago. Whilst I felt no pain while running, I had a dull throbbing sensation on my left iliopsoas the week after...and although I did minimal exercises (ie only walked on Thursday and Friday, the rest being rest days), the pain continued to be present.

From the symptoms I experience, I gather I have iliopsoas tendonitis. Hip pain could result from iliopsoas tendonitis or iliopsoas syndrome. While the 2 terms are sometimes used interchangeably, they are both different in nature. I-tendonitis usually results from overuse of the hip area or repetivive hip flexion and it is a gradual build up, resulting in inflammation; whereas I-syndrome usually refers to an acute muscle tear or rupture, and usually feels like a sharp pain on the side.

I've been experiencing dull throbs and aches on my left iliopsoas, in actual fact it was sort of niggling while I did the Singapore Marathon, but I guess I went back to long distance training too soon. I took a week off from exercise the week after my race and did only short runs the week after, and a 12km run 2 weekends after, but I think I pushed my body to the limit 2 Saturdays ago when I ran 20km.

I guess I have to lay off from running for a few weeks, as the area feels tender, and it pulls a little if I walk fast..so I guess I have to do slow walks just to keep the muscles warm. I dare not even lift heavy weights.

SIgh! Guess I also have to watch my diet as I will be relatively sedentary compared to normal days.

Guess I will have to give the Great Eastern 30km a miss..I had wanted to do it very much.

Sigh I just want to heal fast.

3 comments:

KC & the Sunshine Runners said...

Hi Lynn,

Sorry to hear that you sustained the injury from running. You need to avoid impact sports (such as running) ... :-)

Mean time, go to gym to continue with the exercise.

Hope you have a fast recovery.

KC :-)

jesscet said...

oh dear.. do take care and hope you recover fully from the injury!
p.s. take it easy if you exercise :p

Chipmunkrock said...

thks guys! feel a lot better today but i guess i'll have to lay off running for a while.. yes still going to gym but only walking and a bit of weight training!i'm actually kind of enjoying the rest!