Monday, February 20, 2006

Day 4 Hanoi (3 February 2006)

Time

Event

5.30am

Woke up extremely early as it was our last day in Hanoi and we wanted to maximize it.

6.15am

Had breakfast. Last day to eat their fresh thick toast.

7.00am

Walked to Hoan Kiem Lake. Stopped by to see the only mosque in Hanoi.



Al Nour Mosque



Mom and I


Highlands Coffee


7.30am

Arrived at Hoan Kiem. It doesn’t take that long to get there,but we were having a leisurely stroll. Visited the Jade Temple. The pictures did not turn out very nice as it was pretty hazy that morning. In the middle of Hoan Kiem Lake is the Tortoise Tower.


Hoan Kiem Lake



Jade Temple



Inside Jade Temple



Tortoise Tower


8.30am

Off to Hang Gai Street (does sound like hang kai doesn’t it??) for shopping. No photo snapping anymore because we were too busy shopping. It’s a good thing I did not have any additional time to shop or I’d be stony broke.

Shopping haven for girls!! Especially shoes, bags and ao dais! Got myself another ao dai…

10.30am

We had early lunch. Went to a shop which served Banh Cuon cha Ca (Grilled fish with vermicelli). Originally we wanted to go to Cha Ca La Vong, which is the oldest restaurant in Hanoi but unfortunately it was closed over Tet and only reopened on 5th Feb. This is where we tried the cincalok tasting sauce.


Masks on sale

11.45am

Popped over to Dong Xuan market where I bought the deadly dried ginger which gave me a severe diarrhoea. Here you can get a lot of cheap souvenirs but it’s not a comfortable environment to shop in. This is where we did all the last minute shopping.

12.30pm

We left Galaxy Hotel for Noibai Airport.

1.15pm

Arrived at the airport and checked in. I just found out from my brother in law that the airport recently underwent construction.



Noibai Airport

3.20pm

Left the grounds of Hanoi. Back to the humid weather in KL.

I MISS HANOI!!!

6 comments:

C-CUBE said...

very interesting Hanoi holiday and ur photos are great. did u do the tour on your own or an arangement made via a local tour agent. i am interested to go there for a vacation too. do let me know. TQ.

Chipmunkrock said...

oh we bought a local tour over there. it's easier to get a tourguide because most Vietnamese are unable to speak English except in the city centre.ALso don't bother getting tours from Malaysia because it's a total rip off - they tell you 4D 3N but actually it's only 2 days of touring and 2 days of travelling!

Chipmunkrock said...

>c-cube: you're in Bkt Aman pacesetters is it?

C-CUBE said...

I usually run at Lembah Kiara Pacesetters on weekdays where Francis Toh take charge. I will do my long runs on Sat starting fr Bkt Aman.
BTW, can you advise how can I make arrangemnet w the local tour in Hanoi. Do u need to pre-book them b4 you leave for Hanoi, or u only book them when you arrived.

Chipmunkrock said...

i guess you can also book the tour over there but of course then that's a risk you take. i went during CNY so i had to pre-book here coz they also celebrate CNY there. The Vietnamese co which i booked through was New Orient and I did it through PST travel here. Let me get the contacts and let you know.

C-CUBE said...

cool, if possible drop me an email at cchoi_2020@yahoo.com