Thursday, November 16, 2006

No Men Allowed


While I was away in Hong Kong, my gym had made an announcement that they were going to convert to an all ladies' gym effective 1 December 2006. Lifestyle had been one of the pioneers in the fitness industry in KL, but unfortunately lost out to many mega gyms over the years. I continued to gym there for the last 8 years, as I was comfortable with the fact that it wasn't a flashy gym and they don't push personal training, which most gyms do (and on top of that most so called personal trainers in those gyms are inexperienced and know nuts about fitness)

Celebrity Fitness will be opening in Bangsar Village 2 in February 2007, and Lifestyle made this change of direction so as not to compete head on with Celebrity. Instead they are trying to look for a more niche market,but unfortunately this message was not communicated well to the members. Members were left disgruntled and unhappy, as there are several male members, and even the female members are happy to have the men around. I myself am affected, as I have a joint membership with my brother, and we had paid our fees upfront until March next year. So my brother's membership will be terminated, and I do not want to be left in the gym by myself. If we were to join another gym, it will obviously be a joint membership as it usually works out to be cheaper. So at the moment I do not know what the gym's decision is, whether the ladies with joint membership with men will be compensated at all.

In my opinion, this was really a bad move, as they did not consult existing members, and existing members are the ones paying them and keeping them going. It would be much easier to build the business from within, than to start recruiting new members. In any case, I would have to start looking for a new gym. The options I have are:

1. Fitness First ( parking isn't exactly great here and I'd have to bring own towel)
2. True Fitness (I don't mind this gym but it's not that accessible)
3. Celebrity Fitness ( I don't like their marketing oriented style, but it seems to be the most convenient)

Although I am not into flashy gyms, in a way I am kind of looking forward to joining a new gym...hopefully I'll be more motivated and challenged.

4 comments:

WeeFishy said...

Ooh you have got to go to a mixed gym, otherwise this avenue to meeting guys will be closed!! ;-)

jesscet said...

i think u meant `niche' market?

how come california fitness is not one of ur choices? well, guess the nearest location would be mid valley.. my grouses aside, their facilities/equipment are pretty good and there is a nice big pool!

yeah, lifestyle's decision not that good nor fair to existing members! come to join my gym la! ;)

Chipmunkrock said...

oh i usually don't like to join gyms which are located in a mall...as you know i go to the gym at unearthly hours, so i don't really like to be going to malls that early as it's deserted..

oh yes, definitely have to go to mixed gym!

Chipmunkrock said...

ya it was meant to be niche..thks for pointing out typo!